Christmas in Slovakia #1
Bebabel has prepared one of the traditional Christmas recipes that you can find on almost every Christmas table. We have however prepared a simplified version so that everyone would be able to cook the meal we eat each year.
Recipe #1 Simple Christmas Kapustnica
Continue reading to discover the sauerkraut soup that you can easily prepare yourself 🙂
Christmas Sauerkraut soup / Kapustnica
To prepare the Christmas soup you will need the following:
- 1 kg sauerkraut
- 3 different sorts of saussages (the best combination is if one sort is smoked and one is raw)
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 spoon of sweet paprika seasoning
- 1 cup of pre-soaked dried mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- a few whole fresh peppercorns
- papcún - slovak pasta in a shape of small squares, you can substitute with any other type of small sized pasta or omit it completely
- bábovka - brioche type of cake , this is also an option for you if you like combination of sweet and sour
Drain the sauerkraut and set the juice aside. You can chop the cabbage into smaller pieces.
If the cabbage happens to be too acidic, you can wash it a little under cold water, but be careful not to lose too much of its acidity.
Put the cabbage in a big pot, pour water over the cabbage, add whole sausages, mushrooms and the water in which they were soaked, bay leaves and fresh pepper, sweet pepper, salt and cook for about 2.5 hours, stirring occasionally on low heat until the cabbage softens and the sausages are well-cooked.
Finally, add finely chopped garlic cloves.
In the meantime, prepare the papcun pasta in a smaller pot.
We serve the finished cabbage soup with papcun and eat it with bábovka, the brioche-type of cake.
Dobrú chuť 🙂